Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Tribe Life Tuesday: The Miracle Moment


A weekly post from my childhood to grown-up friend Carrie ~ 
sharing her awesome life and her desire to have community while doing it!

Happy TribeLife Tuesday!

I am sitting on a friends couch, feet propped up looking out her floor to ceiling windows and wondering when will I fully envelope myself in the blanket of being present. I ask myself, "Will this always be a struggle for me? What will it take for me to get there?" All these questions swirl as I look out these big beautiful windows. There is not a single cloud in the sky, the wind is whipping the leafless trees incessantly, and the air is crisp with a twinge of bitter cold. It is a beautiful day to stop and breathe deep. Yet still, I find mind charging into the future with no regard for the present. 

I recently came across a quote that I really enjoy and I am working on implementing into my everyday. It says, “When you are here and now, sitting totally, not jumping ahead, the miracle has happened. To be in the moment is the miracle.” ~ Osho

Admittedly, it can be difficult for me to take a moment in everyday and just fully be in it. And when I say “be in it” I mean, stopping and experiencing what it feels like, smells like, and looks like. What do I love about that moment? What do I hate about it? 

For most of us adults, this can be a hard concept to implement, staying in the present. Honestly, I think it is unrealistic to be present all day, everyday. With the demands of being a spouse, a parent, an employee, there is only so much of you. But taking a moment out of each day to be present is a gift you need to give yourself. My gift is 5 minutes. I put my phone on airplane mode or in the other room, sometimes I grab my journal sometimes I don’t, no music, no distraction, I stop everything, force my mind to stop and I sit. I embrace those aforementioned questions and allow the miracle of the moment to happen.

What this has done for me is, it has little by little made me aware of parts of me that I had buried out of self-preservation. I did this thinking it would help me thrive but it only contributed to this posture of survival. This miracle of the moment practice has helped me to live vulnerable and honest and embrace my beautifully broken life. Without this 5 minute gift each day I am certain the dust on my life compass would have caked on even thicker making it that much harder to find due north. I desire to live fully and be present. To thrive and experience contentment. 

So today, I want to spur you on to be present. Take time each day to sit in your miracle moment. 

Thank you for reading.


See you next Tuesday. 

Carrie

No comments: