Thursday, December 07, 2017

Sometimes when it rains ...

... it pours.

I consider myself a healthy person. And I rarely get sick. But I have found myself clobbered this last month.

First I had what appeared to be the flu (although we passed on a test since it was going to cost about $160 to know for sure.) Then I had a four day period of hormonal migraines followed by a really tough cold.

But the cold finished, and I thought I could finally pick myself up. But then I had these really swollen lymph nodes that knocked me on my tail. And this morning, when I asked JB to check them out he said, "I am pretty sure you have abscess!" In my neck!

I tell you what, I am very cautious with things I call painful. I had a dry socket which was 10 out of 10 pain for me. I also hemorrhaged after Sidge's birth and had to have the doctor climb on top of me to stop the bleeding after just having a c-section. That was definitely 10 out of 10 as well. So I don't easily give away high numbers for pain.

I remember when I had my appendicitis, and they asked me for a number. I told them 5. Maybe 6. John said, "Wendi, you are in a lot of pain!" and I said, "I know. But I've felt a 10. This is not a 10."

If John gets a patient in who claims their pain is a "10" ... well they better not have gone through a drive-thru or be texting on their phone. The number 10 means you are begging God for help. You are writhing. You can't see straight. And you are trying to figure out ways to end the madness.

Anyways, this abscess. I will actually say I hit an 8 a few mornings ago. I couldn't function at all. It was horrible. It also explains why I have still wanted to rest a lot and been exhausted. I had an infection! Ugh!

So I skipped our homeschool Christmas party this evening and am laying low with my family. The pain is now very manageable, and I opted to start on a course of antibiotics instead of subjecting myself to the radiation and cost of a CT-scan. We therefore can't be positive that it is an abscess.

I'm really hoping after this run, things slow down. I don't find it a coincidence that this corresponds with a new Bible study I have been doing with some other moms online. I've been really reconnecting with God, and I believe in spiritual battles. Just hanging on and trusting!

Your prayers are appreciated!

P.S. The post below: "Hannah's Clothes" fell off my radar during all this. So I'll try to follow her with a camera another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying that you feel better soon. It's not fun to be sick and run down.