Saturday, April 01, 2017

We Bought a Farm: One of my favorite things


One of my favorite things about life on the farm is a red pick-up truck in my driveway.

Okay. Not exactly. I mean I like red. But that's not what I was taking a picture of.

I'm taking a picture of another farmer who heard we had duck eggs and came by to get some.

I love meeting other farmers.

I especially love meeting other organic farmers.

(The guy in the red truck was an organic farmer!)

I love talking to them about what they are growing and what they are raising and what they are selling. I love that we feel connected somehow.

They live out in the middle of nowhere. And we live out in the middle of nowhere. And somehow our nowheres connect.

There are a lot of misconceptions about these rural farmers. You have an image in your mind. But I have their image in front of me.

These are often very educated, very intelligent, and very helpful and kind individuals. They embrace all people and truly do not care what you look like or where you are from or what your name is.

They just want to know what you farm.

And talk about farming.

Oh and they will often comment that "Ya'll don't sound like you're from around here."

No accent on JB or me.

I've been so impressed by all the farmers I have met. Some have formal educations. Some can't read or write. But they know their jobs, and they take pride in the plants and animals they are raising for their communities.

(And while their vehicles aren't always red -- they usually drive a truck!)

No comments: