Saturday, January 07, 2017

We Bought a Farm: Our Second Winter

I wonder, as I look over the rolling hills of our Tennessee farm, how long it will be before this is the only home my kids have ever known. 

For me, it still feels like I am a visitor here and that this magic may end at any moment. Home still feels like our house in Turkey, or the Azores, or Middle Tennessee. Or it feels like Minnesota or Kentucky or Eglin. 

But this. 

This is my home. I live here. I am raising my kids here. I've buried our Dalmatian here. It's okay Wendi. You can feel settled now. You live here. This is your's. Breathe. 

Slowly, as the years pile on, this place is becoming more and more of our place. Yesterday we had some snow, but overnight, we had a beautiful you-can-go-sledding-slow. Unfortunately, with a temperature in the teens (and a feels like in the single digits) we just couldn't be outside very long in it, but we still had fun getting out in it.

(Another reason I love Tennessee? It's supposed to get into the 50's and 60's in just a matter of time!)

JB had just gotten off of his night shift so he only had a few minutes of stamina in him. But we made the most of it!

Isaac (whose been under the weather with a new cold) and his Dad. These two are inseparable. And I wouldn't have it any other way. All of my kids will take either parent equally. But Isaac is a Daddy's boy to the bone. And I love it.

Hannah pouting for no reason at all.

And a second later, jumping up and smiling. This picture of her just melts me. It so captures her essence. She is so full of life and zip. Days are never boring with Hannah around. 

I also managed to capture a few videos. We sledded just a few times down the driveway. It was just too cold to stay out for much longer. As a mom, getting ready to get out seems to take longer than the time they actually spend out in it!



I love this farm.

I love my family.

I love being ... home.

No comments: