Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Technology and kiddos

Back in January, I wrote a blog post entitled: "Why my kids won't be on technology in public." 

I have found some additional blog posts which I have really enjoyed that sort of "back up" what I feel about technology.
And some articles discussing how technology can be used appropriately:
I want to make it clear that I do not think kids should not use electronics. My kids definitely use them in limited fashion and appropriately. I had a friend tell me that electronics were "in her tool bag" and I really liked how she put that. It is one tool that you can use for your children, but it shouldn't make up the entirety of their entertainment.

I also wanted to start a separate discussion on the internet  and my children. Here are some articles I am compiling. JB and I have carried things even farther in the time since I wrote this piece. We do not plan on allowing our children access to the Internet unsupervised for quite a number of years (possibly 18). I have heard parents tell me this is extreme. I get that, and I don't disagree. I also know I may not be able to do what I want to do now. I get that too. But for now, that is my plan. I think the stakes are way too high. I understand that kids who are in school are forced to have devices much more often than not. I do not disagree that we are able to do this more because we are homschooling.


    3 comments:

    Momma, PhD said...

    I went to Chili's recently and they now have a tablet-like device at every table.

    You can use it to order food and check out/pay for your meal, but it also shows videos and has games and apps like a smartphone or tablet.

    I didn't realize what it was at first, and let my youngest fiddle with it. It didn't take long before taking it away would have been the thing that caused the meltdown.

    I'm kind of torn about it. I also like having a device in my toolkit that I can take out to ward off a melt-down or prevent a cranky kid from ruining the meals of everyone around us in the restaurant. However, if we're out to eat, we should be together chatting, coloring, playing tic tac toe on the placemat etc.

    I worry the next time we go back, they will want to play with it and it will an issue to say no.

    TAV said...

    My MIL uses the iPad as a distraction tool to get Iver to eat. I'm not a fan, for many of the same reasons I think you feel. Hard to break this habit later....

    Wendi Kitsteiner said...

    Tav I think if it is in your tool bag it can be okay but anytime they depend on something it can be tough!