Monday, May 12, 2008

So good to be home

We are back on good ol' Eglin AFB. It feels so wonderful to be home. Being as Isaac has his days and nights mixed up, the drive here was amazing. He slept nearly all 600 miles. We only had to make two stops for about 45 minutes each time for a change/eat/burp session. He did wonderfully.

When we got home, I was so excited to see that I finally got to be one of the houses with a sign in the front yard. Look what the wifia put up outside our door!


The decorations didn't stop on the outside. They had put up this sign and gotten me my favorite: Tulips for Mother's Day with a "Happy Mother's Day" balloon. Honestly, I cannot express how blessed I am to have these wonderful women in my life. They have been my rock during our year here. I truly feel that they are family to me. Thank you girls!


We got home around 5pm. Scrubs was ecstatic to see us but surprisingly, fell asleep mere moments after we walked in the door. I read the note from Jodi to find out she had taken him to play Frisbee just thirty minutes before we got home. He was plum tuckered out!

Jodi had made us a WONDERFUL dinner of baked spaghetti, salad, and bread. In addition, Joia had left her awesome Butterfingers dessert. What a blessing this was.

Since coming home, Scrubs has been amazing with his new pack member. He mainly sits by me or the pack-n-play, which is currently "home base" just watching. The first time Isaac cried, his ears perked up so high, but now, he has become used to it and doesn't seem fazed. We are also allowing Scrubs to choose where he will sleep at night. We think he is old enough and this allows him to make his every-other-hour checks of me and Isaac before returning to his couch to sleep. Here are a few photos taken early this morning.





My heart is so full right now. Full of appreciation for all the people who have loved, encouraged, prayed, and blessed us during the last five years of infertility and the last year as we prepared for Isaac. Full of emotions I cannot put into words for the gift we have been given by two young people ten hours away. It still feels as if I am floating above these events, watching from afar, waiting for the moment that I wake up and realize it isn't real.

I also find it difficult to admit that my life, and this blog, will transition. For so long I was the one watching as everyone else came home with their babies, sad when the blog I read became a place that could hurt my heart sometimes. Now I know that my blog is one of those blogs. It is a place that some people may no longer be able to visit as pictures of Isaac grace its pages. I know this is part of the seasons of life, but I still don't know how to make sense of all this. I'm still trying to process it all. I know his story makes it less painful to infertile women reading -- knowing that he was a gift of another sort -- but it still means I am leaving so many women behind. I am so sorry for that but yet so happy all at the same time. I am sure I will process this more as time passes.

For now, I am just enjoying this amazing moment of my life. I do not know if I will ever bring a newborn through our doors again so I am treasuring every moment and learning to process all the new emotions. JB is home with us for a few days. He has to work on Thursday and Friday and will then have the weekend off before starting nights on Monday. Having JB here with me means the world to me.

And of course, more to come ...

12 comments:

Gabbs said...

Awww, there's my little Isaac. I've been waiting to see him ALL day, and its not even noon yet. Gosh I miss him! He's so cute.

Hugs and kisses to Isaac from Aunt Gabbi!!!!!!!!!!

<3

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy-I've checked all morning for news and here you are!
What great friends you have to welcome you home in such a wonderful way!
Everything seems to be going great-I love the pics of Scrubs-he will be the greatest protector and "bestest" friend
a boy could have.
Also,I agree with Gabs...I miss little Isaac-his cute little face,that "baby smell" and all 2000 of his body parts:) Sure am looking forward to seeing him (and you, too)soon. Diane, give him an extra "grandma hug" for me! love to all, Grandma K

Unknown said...

Welcome home John and Wendi and Isaac! We are so happy for you guys. We can't wait to meet little Isaac (& Scrubs too) and get to know you and John better. Your story just amazes me. God is so kind!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your friends and can't wait to meet them. What a great welcome home that was.

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to meet you either, Ebby! =0)

Wendi, so good to see you home and starting to settle in - he and Scrubs look like good buddies already!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to meet the new "youngest member in the boy club!"

Anonymous said...

Hi John, Wendi & Isaac. So glad you're home safe and can settle in to enjoy your new family status.
I was listening to music today and had to send the lyrics to this song, as it seems so fitting for you 3.

"My Wish" by Rascal Flatts

"I hope that the days come easy & the moments pass slow
And each road leads you where you want to go
And if you're faced with a choice, and have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window.
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,

But more than anything, more than anything
My wish for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never need to carry more than you can hold
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, & wants the same things too.
Yeah, this is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but you never forget,
All the ones who love you, and the place you left.
I hope you always forgive, & you never reget
And you help somebody every chance you get.
Oh, you find God's grace in every mistake
And you always give more than you take.

But more than anything, yeah, more than anything,
My wish for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never need to carry more than you can hold
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to
I hope you know somebody loves you, & wants the same things too,
Yeah, this is my wish."

I wish all this and more for all of you. Enjoy!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

What an awesome God, who blesses us with such good things!! It truly is a dream come true, pinch yourself Wendi, it is all true and so wonderful for all of us to enjoy your story on your blog. I teared up reading of you on your own turf and seeing Scrubs "guarding" your precious gift from God. Enjoy and savor every minute, it goes Soooooo fast.
Blessings on you all... Judy (Joia's Mom)

Anonymous said...

I was just looking back over the pictures and realized that in the picture where you're giving him his bottle, he's holding onto your finger - how precious! =)

Anonymous said...

Aww. I love it. I can't wait to see you guys again. I love the pictures so much, I'm saving them all. Love you guys and I love you Isaac. xoxo Bri

Shelly Day said...

Congratulations John and Wendi! We are so excited for you guys. What a blessing and gift to receive on your 1st Mother's Day. One to remember for sure. Welcome to the world of adoption. Recovery-excellent, energy level-normal, excitement level-elevated, gratefulness-off the chart. :^) What an awesome God we have! Can't wait to welcome baby Isaac to the Crossway family.
Shannon and Shelly Day

Niki said...

What a wonderful addition to your family. I'm so excited for you both!