Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I would love to say that our family is doing something to commemorate those who have given their lives for our country on a day like today. We do live on a military base after all! They had a 4.4 "gate-to-gate" run where you could run from the west gate to the east gate. I would have LOVED to do this. However, JB is on nights, and I have recently learned that if you are the "night guy" on a holiday, you get lucky enough to do a 24-hour call instead of your normal 12 hour night shift. So JB is commemorating by taking care of sick people. The good news is that this will count as one of his holiday call days. The bad news is, well, he's at the hospital for 24 hours. Bummer. Bummer double-time as we have no company in town so it is just me here all by my lonesome. Well, I take that back. It's me and my boys. Me and Scrubby and Isaac all by our lonesomes.

Saturday night and Sunday night were our first two nights, both home together, with no one here with us since the day before we left to pick up Isaac back on May 6th! Wow! At one point we were both sitting by the couch, holding Isaac. Scrubs was at our feet, and he had this look on his face that said, "At last. It's just me and my family, and you are sitting in one place! I'm so exhausted worrying where everyone is all day!" He still, however, whines by the guest room looking for my Mom or Ebby each morning! Too cute.

Ebby left on Saturday morning, and JB's mom will not be getting in until Tuesday. The weekend in the middle of two weeks of nights is always difficult for John because he has been on nights, and then it's the weekend. So when do you sleep? This time he opted not to nap on Saturday and just go to bed very early and sleep as long as possible. He slept 10 hours, and in return, let me take naps both days! Hurrah! This was very much appreciated.

The nights with Isaac really go pretty well. He usually feeds around 9-10pm, then again around 1-2am. I usually get some sleep in between those times. However, once he gets up to feed at approximately 4:30am, the day has usually begun for me as either Scrubs is waking up or Isaac is wide awake, or I am wide awake. That being said, I am probably securing 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I am doing fine with this. I keep reminding myself that it is a whole lot more sleep than I was getting during my long 'bouts of insomnia on infertility medications. At least I am getting up for a reason! However, naps are great tools for combating these low-sleep nights. When I was dealing with the insomnia, naps were useless because I couldn't sleep. But now when I get a nap, I am out in a flash! It's wonderful!

However, the weekend is now over, and JB is back at work. I drove John in at 7am this morning so I could have the car and go back up with Isaac and have dinner with him this evening. I have to admit that I am very proud of how well I have done by myself today.

I have managed to:
  • Go to the bay with Scrubs and baby for Scrubs to play (first time I have done this!) When the kids opened up the door so Deuce could come and play, Scrubs ran into their house! Since Isaac was outside in his stroller, I didn't want to run in after the dog, so I waited for the kids to shew him out. When they did, he reemerged with stolen toy in mouth. What a shocker! It took awhile, but he eventually relinquished the football rope toy thingy for a biscuit. It must be a fair trade or Scrubs will refuse a trade. Biscuits were acceptable I guess.
  • Vacuum! Pet hair no more!
  • Do some laundry.
  • Do an hour of work for RLS. I am currently trying to do about 10 hours a week for the next few months -- eventually working my way back up to part-time (20 hours.)
  • Give Isaac a bath. (No tears for this one! He is loving his baths now!) In the middle of the bath, Scrubs brought me his rings to play. What the heck was he thinking? He seemed to figure out quickly that I may be able to do a lot of things at once but tug on rings while giving a bath is not one of them.
  • Take two naps. Naps are a bit tricky because I have to time them so that baby, dog, and Wendi are asleep at the same time. This morning, Scrubs wasn't having any of that so he got to hang out in his kennel for a bit. I just don't trust him enough to let him wander our house by himself, and as a result, I don't get a sound sleep. Nothing like locking him into a confined space to give me peace of mind.
Looking forward to seeing JB for dinner tonight and picking his mom up from the airport tomorrow! Also looking forward to my dad coming in after she leaves and going to Minnesota in less than three weeks for Hans and Rachel's wedding!

Okay, off to feed baby!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendi you're doing a Great job!! So sorry you're spending the holiday alone though. =0/

This too shall pass.. =) Hopefully you can get a good visit with John in this evening, and he won't get called away.

Anonymous said...

Wow Wen! You accomplished much! Don't push yourself too much. The timing for mom k will be perfect. Have fun. Mom H

Anonymous said...

Wendi- Sounds like you are doing great and sleeping when your boys are sleeping. Can't wait to see more pictures of the little guy!- Jaime

AW said...

Wen, you're doing great! I actually enjoyed it when all the company finally left...I needed to find my groove and I couldn't do it with company. You sound like you're finding your groove.